- San Francisco passed the nation’s first mandatory composting law in 2009: Mandatory Recycling and Composting Ordinance
Collection of Materials
- Standard residential services include a 64-gallon blue recycling bin, a 32-gallon green composting bin, and 16-gallon black trash bin.
Method of Composting
- All of the city’s yard waste and food scraps are brought to Jepson Prairie Organics in Vacaville, about 60 miles northeast of San Francisco.
- Businesses are charged according to the volume of waste they present.
- They receive discounts for using the green and blue bins, and are penalized if recyclables or compostables end up in the trash.
- Local policy works in regulating waste, specifially when it comes to having residents being more aware of diverting food scraps from recyclables to trash since there are financial repercussions.